And now for something completely different.
As many of you know the lovely Lesley is a ‘master baker’. I’ve got her to go gluten free for her thyroid and she is creating recipes all the time. This one is an absolute cracker! Enjoy.
- ½ cup dates (roughly chopped)
- 1/3 cup of water
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 medium or 1 ½ large bananas
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup oil (olive oil is fine)
- 1 cup of almond meal
- ½ cup of rice flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of mixed spice
- 2-3 tablespoons of shredded coconut
- ½ cup of walnuts (or nuts of your choice) roughly broken up
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a 21 x 11 cm loaf tin with baking paper.
Place dates, water and bi-carb soda in a saucepan and bring to boil. Simmer for a few minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Place dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix together.
In another bowl, place bananas and mash well. Add eggs, oil and cooled date mixture.
Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and mix well.
Spoon the mixture into prepared loaf tin and bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside in the pan for 5 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into slices to serve.